John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am preparing to go to the EEOC to file a claim termination

Customer Question

I am preparing to go to the EEOC to file a claim for wrongful termination and retaliation, I it best to seek an attorney to go with with or represent me? I read it an issue is left out of the initial claim it could not be admitted later? I was fired December 17 for my place of employment, Sephora in Georgetown, I had been a manager there for 8 1/2 years. I had my work performance review in June 2015, I did not agree with it, I told the persons who performed my review that it was bogus, false, and misleading and I would not accept it. This went back and forth and I was told by one of the reviewers that "I could try to take it further, but it would only hurt my career". I contacted human resources and we have been going back and forth ever since that is until December 17. I had been in continuous contact with human resources, there were issues about my position and my pay increase. In December my work schedule was changed, this caused yet another issue.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

What you read was wrong, EEOC charges are amendable to until the conclusion of their investigation. You generally only need to allege a basic factual scenario that indicates why you believe you were discriminated against on account of your age, race, gender, disability or religion (or any combination of these) to make a valid EEOC complaint. The Agency then contacts the employer and has them submit a position statement as to their side of the story. They often also request documents and to speak with management or others at the employer that may be material witnesses to the discrimination. You don't really need an attorney for any of this, but many people do retain one anyway I think because they feel more comfortable that way.