Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney

What are the ramifications of a voluntary repo of an RV? How

Customer Question

What are the ramifications of a voluntary repo of an RV? How do I go about doing this?
A little background. For the past 6 yrs we have been full time RV'S. A change occured when my 98 yr old father-in-law fell a requires assistance. We are trying to sell the motor homha
with no luck, people are just not buying. We have had ads since Oct. Because of the cost
of health insurance in Az. we cannot continue the payments on the motor home.What
choices do we have?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

To be very honest, the only difference between a voluntary and involuntary repo is that the creditor doesn't have to come and physically take possession of the RV. Other than that, the process is the same. The RV is auctioned at public auction to the highest bidder and then the creditor can sue the borrower for any deficiency between what is owed and what it sold for.

Whether they would try to sue you depends on what assets you have and whether you have income they could go after. If your income is Social Security and you don't have much along the line of assets, then they may simply let it go and write off the loss since they won't want to spend thousands on an attorney suing you to get a judgment that they can't collect on.