Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

R.. Pittsburgh Pa I recently retired from PWSA Pittsburgh

Customer Question

hello R.B. Pittsburgh Pa I recently retired from PWSA Pittsburgh water and sewer Authority May 31 2015 on June 3 2015 the authority offered a buyout 3days after I retired. I had my union looking into the matter local 95 also the plumber had his union looking into it. They said because we were not covered under ERISA and things where discussed behind closed doors there was nothing we could do.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a common situation. Once an employee retires, if an employer subsequently offers a deal to other persons to retire, the employee who had already retired cannot change his retirement to take advantage of the newer offer I am afraid. Once you retired, you were bound to the terms of your retirement at the time you agreed to retire. The employer's subsequent new offer to other employees would not apply to you and if the authority offered a buyout after you retired I am sorry to say that legally you would have no grounds to claim the rights to the buyout.