Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I have been in my district years.15 of those years I was a

Customer Question

I have been in my district for 26 years.15 of those years I was a Dean of students, a position that my district put in the the administrators union15 years ago.3 years ago I was named at an assistant principal at my high school . I moved from the Dean's position to the position of Assistant Principal. My question is - since I was a Dean and supervised teachers do I have get tenure after 2 years?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer to your question depends on the stated by-laws as well as policy and procedure of your particular institution. If it is not stated in this information, then you need to look for past precedent and how similar situations have been handled in the past by the school administration. In progressing forward, if this is a case of first impression and there is no mention of the situation in the by-laws or employee handbook, then the determination can be made one way or the other by the school administration.

Based on what you have shared with me, it is my opinion, based on my years of experience that if this is not otherwise addressed in school pertinent policy or precedent, then you be eligible for tenure after two years, as you suggest.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively (Three or More Stars) so I can receive credit for my response - otherwise I will receive no credit.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in this morning to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks