Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Will I be held to a non compete in Nevada if I wasn't aware

Customer Question

Will I be held to a non compete in Nevada if I wasn't aware of it when hired?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. If you signed a non-compete, then it would be a legal document, whether you remember signing it or not, since by signing it you said you read it and agreed to it. That said, not all non-competes are enforceable in whole or in part, so you would have to have a local employment law attorney review it in light of the work you want to do and for whom, to see if he or she thinks it is enforceable. You should contact the Company and tell them that you want to comply with any non-compete you signed, but you were not given a copy of it and need one in order to comply. That way you get your copy and they don't know that you are contemplating challenging it.

If your attorney doesn't think it is enforceable, then they could file a petition with the courts for a declaratory judgment that it isn't. That way, you take the offense (always better) rather than the defense which can result in an injunction to keep you from continuing any work that you have started.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.