Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

At the end of the yr in either Oct,or Nov the employer

Customer Question

At the end of the yr in either Oct,or Nov the employer handed out a notice of cost of living rise and employees will c a 3% increase on their checks.
I wasnt hired on until Dec. 1st I spent 5months working threw the temp service when I was told ID b hired on in 3 but found out went by number of hrs and because we were slow were only working 32hrs a week so it took longer.
Now a few of the girls had just started at the time of the increase but got hired right threw the company so they all got that increase.
Now I just don't think it's fair I only make $13.50 and they make $13.90 we do the same thing and I've actually been working there longer and make less. There are no more increases in pay for that job title. How is this even fair I should of got the increase too I was hire on Dec 1st 2015 before the new year y wouldn't I be eligible for cost of living increase once hired on. I'm always going to make less even tho I was there longer and I'm faster have more experience I'm always stuck doing the harder jobs because of this. All this just pisses me off and was wondering if there is any thing I can do or if I'm just screwed rules are rules I'm told.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You are not going to like my answer, I am afraid. Thanks in advance for not shooting the messenger.

Unless the employer and and the employee have a contract that mandates specific bonuses, cost of living, etc, the employer does not have to give them out. I am going to assume that there is no such contract. Barring that, unless someone in your situation can make a successful claim that these bonuses, etc, are being given out on basis of race, religion, creed, etc (basically, a discriminatory decision), then there is no case as the employer has no mandate to give them out anyhow. If they do, it goes by the employer's arbitrary decision regardless of how long someone has been there, for example. I am sorry.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!