Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have been an exempt employee years. I function as

Customer Question

I have been an exempt employee for 15 years. I function as community liaison/ marketing person. Recently, my hours were cut in half to 20 hours a week and I was reclassified as an hourly employee. My job duties didn't substantially change - just less time to get it done.
Is there any recourse or mechanism to return to exempt status even though I'm now part time?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, just because an employee's job duties may qualify them for overtime exempt status doesn't mean the employer has to pay them that way. It's always simply an option. It is never illegal to pay an employee on an hourly basis for their time. It is also not illegal to reduce an employee's hours, unless the employee has a contract guaranteeing their previous hours for a set period of time, which very few employees have.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.