Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Recently I was informed my health insurance expired as of 1

Customer Question

recently I was informed my health insurance expired as of 1 31 16. I Received cobra papers as well as papers from united health stating the same thing. I took 2 weeks vacation the first part of Feb and then the end of the third week went back to work. when I Received my pay check they reinstated my insurance and charged me for this plus back health insurance. I informed them I did not need health coverage on my daughter because I already purchased insurance else where. This was a family plan, but my wife has her own policy as well as my other child mine is company paid. I was told that since I was not off longer than 30 days they could do this also I was told I had to work 31 hours a week for a month to be reinstated. I have only worked 1 week since over 30 hours. I feel they should not be able to do this after terminating my insurance you can reach me at(###) ###-####
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Whether or not they can change the policy outside of the enrollment period is up to the insurer and employer and the contract of insurance they have. It is not something they can automatically change. If you were not gone longer than 30 days, they only would have to reinstate the policy if you work the requisite number of hours. They do not have to change the policy I am afraid from what you had before it was cancelled until you reach the open enrollment period on the plan and then they can remove your child from the plan.