Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I worked copy months as a Class commercial driving with a

Customer Question

I worked for this copy for 6 months as a Class B commercial driving with a promse that I eventually would drive the Class A truck. (hed a class A truck driviing job for 21 ears) Got sick and was out of work for 2 months. Meantime winter hours (concrete truck) driving approximately 20-30 hrs a week. To get 20-30 hour week of pay had to be their 5 days a week at $11.00 any hour average $200-270. I told them I can not afford to drive 40 miles to work a day for that pay, nice people, but cannot afford. this job. I went looking for a better job, instanced of driving 40 miles a day and going in the hole. Found one, put concrete job as reference. When new job called them they said and I quote "Nice guy but unreliable!! Called concrete job and ask why they said this. The Boss man ask me to come and talk to him about driving concret truck again, he cannot, find drivers and possibly Class A driving job!! So I ask, you are willing to have me come to drive for you, but not letting me drive for some else! Is their something wrong here?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Unfortunately, unless you have reason to believe that the real reason the guy gave you a bad reference was due to your race, age, gender or disability, there is nothing that can be done here. If you feel as though this is rooted in discrimination based on at least one of the four aforementioned factors, then you can file a claim with the EEOC that could lead to a federal law suit in which you could receive damages.

If there is no discrimination here, as unethical as this conduct is, there is no legal cause of action that is really worth pursuing. There is a cause of action called tortuous interference with business. However, that cause of action and this particular set of facts do not mesh together well enough for me to advise you to pursue it.

I wish I had better news for you. You are obviously a hard working person that just wants to better yourself. It appears that your former employer is unethical, at a minimum. However, unethical alone is not legally actionable in most cases.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!

Just checking one last time on you to see if there are any other issues. Thanks