Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I get a pension from the Teachers' Retirement System of the

Customer Question

I get a pension from the Teachers' Retirement System of the city of NY. I chose wrong option under duress. Their law states it cannot be changed because it is after the 30 days. I retired in 2010. I've been fighting them all this time. My pension tier does not allow a change. What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, if the deadline provided in your plan for changing your mind has passed, I am afraid that you do not have any recourse. There is nothing you can do to change your option. Even if you file a lawsuit to try to force the retirement system to change your option, it is highly unlikely that you would prevail in the lawsuit since you had 30 days to change your mind, but you did not do that.

I am sorry that I do not have good news for you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.

You are quite Welcome!

I am so sorry again for being the bearer of bad news here. However, you deserve the truth.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.