Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

My company is offering me an early retirement contract. We

Customer Question

My company is offering me an early retirement contract. We have discussed it but I have not seen the written contract. My company expects me to wait until after the BOD meets and approves the contract before they show me the approved contract but then expects my early retirement date to be three days later. How long do I have to review a written contract before I decide whether to sign it or not? I also want to show it to my attorney.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no statutory limit on how long a window one has to sign a contract. This depends on the verbiage in the offer. For example:

1) If the offer is made with a deadline, then the party has until that deadline to accept the contract.

2) If the offer is made open-ended with no deadline, then the party has a reasonable time to accept the contract (what is reasonable is subjective).

3) If the party counter-offers, then this is seen as a rejection of the original contract offer.

These rules are under the Uniform Commercial Code and apply to merchant accounts, but also have generally found themselves permeate general contract doctrine as well.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!