Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

We were the first business she bought, she was also a friend

Customer Question

We were the first business she bought, she was also a friend and just like family, she bought us and didn't own the building but her intentions was to find alot or building to buy and put us there. Then she purchased another business down town. Our lease where we are is up in June. She came to me and ask with other florist to buy where she could move us to and I told her which one would be the best, ***** ***** it and the plan was to move us there. Then things just started changing, so we would ask her about our jobs, and she assured us that after the move no matter what we all had a job!! Then her son-in-law and daughter came by the shop not last Friday but the Friday before and told us they were shutting the shop down March 31st. So I asked him what about us? Do we have a job and he said NO!!! Now they have had us staying there telling our customers they can't charge anymore, and they wrote up a deal for us to put in the statements that they were closing and that they had purchased Paris Florist and they will take care of your future floral needs, no mention of us anywhere! Customers are calling and coming in alot of us crying when we are talking to them. I sent a text last night to the son-in-law asking him how much more abuse do they want us to endure cause he was there and witnessed me breaking down with a customer!!! He sent a text back saying we could leave at anytime, but if we do we won't be able to file for our unemployment! This is the first time in over 20 years that I am fixing to be unemployed! I'm 58 years old and was the manager, do we have any legal leg to stand on for broken promises and mental abuse in the work place?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Did you have anything in writing regarding these promises? That is, were these promises part of an express, written contract where she agreed to do them in exchange for services provided by you?

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?