Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I work government. A person was keeping files of "dirty

Customer Question

I work for the government. A person was keeping files of "dirty laundry" on employees including me. Most things were not based on facts. The file was exposed on the public drive where every employee can see it "by accident"
Don't know how many people saw it and management is keeping it very quiet.
What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the information is known false to by the employee AND you suffer some form of harm from the disclosure, you may file suit against them for defamation/slander/libel. Also, you could sue for the common law tort of false light, which is part of the invasion of privacy torts. You would need to prove actual damages from the disclosure in order to succeed in a suit.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What can be considered damages? There agency is sweeping this under the rug.
Thank you for your reply.
For damages, you would have to prove some actual harm, such as demotion, loss of pay, loss of your position in the workplace.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know how many people saw the file. The agency's IT department is responsible for misplacing and giving access to all employees. I didn't get demoted but there were things that can damage my reputation since they were not based on fact.
Thank you for your reply.
In court, you would have to prove an actual damage suffered, not possible damage in the future I am afraid.