John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am a 74 year old computer Programmer; I have worked

Customer Question

I am a 74 year old computer Programmer; I have worked for my employer continuous for 21 years. The first four years I worked as a contractor after which I worked as a full time employee (17 years). In efforts to build a case of incompetency my manger, without my knowledge, has changed some of my programming computer code. My access to some of the computer utility programs has been blocked.
And the company has a “No Retaliation” policy.
Also the following state is in the “2015 Team Member Guide”, under the Section: COMPLAINT PROCESS: “It is important that everyone help enforce and support compliance with the No Harassment or Discrimination policy”.
My question is without using to Race and AGE discrimination complaint, can an employer purposely sabotage an employee’s work? If not what are the options for the employee.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

The employee, assuming he could prove the sabotage, would have potential claims of intentional infliction of emotional distress and tortious interference with business relationship against the manager. There isn't necessarily a claim against the employer as an entity unless you could also show that person making the decision to discipline or terminate knew your work was altered but accepted the managers word for it regardless.