Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

Can my employor force me to take LTD andSTD. when I didn't

Customer Question

can my employor force me to take LTD andSTD. when I didn't sign up for it.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling employment law matters. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Unless there is a company policy that mandates taking LTD and STD that was in place when you began your employment, they cannot legally make you take these coverages. There is no statute that allows the employer to force this on you. The only way it would be legal is if everyone is mandated to do it and it is a component of the policy and procedure of the company (which should be reflected in an employee handbook).

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (three or more stars) as well.

Best wishes going forward!