John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Worked 2 full time jobs for ~ 20 years each. Both LTD

Customer Question

Worked 2 full time jobs for ~ 20 years each. Both LTD carriers want to reduce my benefit by my whole social security claim. I was supposed to be protected (income wise) until I reached 65/66 yo. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. I will refer to the employer's disability policy as "DI" and Social Security Disability as "SSDI" for the remainder of this answer to avoid confusion.

Most DI providers these days have a provision in their policy that requires that their disability payments coordinate with SSDI. There is no law that prohibits insurers from doing this. What that means is that the amount that DI pays or owes you is reduced by the amount SSDI is found to owe you. Further, most DI providers these days require you to cooperate with them in filing for your rightfully owed SSDI benefits,and if you do not cooperate with them they are allowed to stop DI payments. Lastly, even though it may take some time to get the SSDI benefits through filing and possibly having to go through a hearing, SSDI awards benefits up to a year retroactive from the application date. And, the DI policy usually has a claw-back provision that states whatever benefits DI paid out while awaiting for a SSDI decision or retroactive payment may be owed back to the DI insurer. There are no laws that prohibit the plans from having these offset provisions.

Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.