Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

Are pensions a part of a estate account

Customer Question

Are pensions a part of a estate account
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you are asking if pension or retirement accounts are part of a deceased's estate, then generally the answer is no. These type of accounts have designated beneficiaries, just like life insurance policies, and are paid directly to the named beneficiary. The only time that they would normally be part of the estate assets would be if the estate was named as the beneficiary and any spouse had signed off on a waiver of any rights to it under a federal law called ERISA that governs pensions and company sponsored retirement plans.

.

.

thanks