Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I started a job recently renting cars company and they have

Customer Question

I started a job recently renting cars for a company and they have a required training session normally done at a local corporate headquarters. I live in humboldt ca and the closest training center is in San Francisco 6 hrs away. So my questions is they want me to take a rental car and travel with another employee with serious adhd, which is known by the company, and they wont allow me to take my own car due to the fact im on the clock is that legal?? I feel uncomfortable traveling with the other employee and i smoke and i cant smoke in the rentals so itll be six hours of hell for me. Is it legal for them to deny me the right to be able to smoke in the rental or take my own vehicle or make me travel with someone im uncomfortable with???
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but there is nothing unlawful about your employer's requirements. They can require you to travel with another co-worker, and they can require you to use a rental. Perhaps you can smoke when you pull over for breaks. Your employer is not required to give you time to smoke, though.

I realize that the law is not in your favor here and I am truly sorry to have to deliver bad news. Nonetheless, I trust that you will appreciate an accurate explanation of the law and realize that it would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.