Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Can an employer legally withhold pay time off hours that is

Customer Question

Can an employer legally withhold pay for paid time off hours that is based on the hours the person worked if the person is terminated? This is not vacation nor sick time pay.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. If you are asking if an employer in Mississippi must pay accrued unused paid time off upon termination, then the answer is no, unless there is a contract or written policy that says they do. In other words, there is no State or Federal law that requires that an employer even offer any paid time off. Therefore, if the employer does do so, they get to set the rules as to accrual, use and pay out.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 18th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.