Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

I have over 1000 hours of Vacation built up over 38yrs with

Customer Question

I have over 1000 hours of Vacation built up over 38yrs with this company. Also several hundred hours of Sick Leave. Over the years I have not been able to use it do to my type of job! I go from one Job through the winter to another in the summer. They over run one another. So for me to take off! I am afraid that when I quit they will take it all away from me! I am 61 years old and feel I have earned it! I live in Kansas and 61 years old. Can they legally do that?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

According to the Kansas Dept of Labor, there is no state or federal laws in place that require an employer to pay an employee for sick, vacation, or personal time hours built up unless the employer has a specific policy stating that they do so or have established a pattern of doing so over the years.

.

So I would suggest talking with HR to see what the company policy is on this and if they don't pay, then start taking some time off and smelling the roses... I ran into the same issue when I left my employment after 5 years at 70 hours a week...

.

.

thanks