Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I was recently off after 28 years with my employer. I

Customer Question

I was recently laid off after 28 years with my employer. I received a severance package over $20,000. I am 57 years old and I can start collecting my pension. I would rather wait until I'm 62 to star collecting it. If I do not start collecting my pension can Pennsylvania reduce my unemployment for not taking it?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, PA cannot do anything to force you to begin collecting your pension. You are entitled to unemployment and even if you could collect your pension early, that is your choice and PA Unemployment cannot force you to collect. In fact, if you are not collecting any pension from the employer, you do not even disclose it to unemployment as it is none of their business.