John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was with a company that had a vested pension. The magic

Customer Question

I was with a company that had a vested pension. The magic number was 75 (years employed plus age) and I was downsized at 49 with 25 years experience. I received a buyout at the fraction of what I would have gotten if the magic number was reached. I went to work as a contractor for another company which does the same thing, gained experience, and was hired back by my original company as a contractor some years later. Can I use that time to theoretically say that I have now reached the magic number and receive the difference as another buy out for retirement package?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

Three questions - 1) was the pension plan still in existence when you returned (and now), 2) How long of a gap in time had it been between date of downsize and date of re-hire, and 3) when you say you received a small buyout, did that involve giving up any right to your pension (i.e., what exactly did you release in that regard)?

Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.