Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in employment law, unions, contracts, workers comp law
20355756

I am a leasing consultant in Tennessee I got into a domestic

Customer Question

Hi. I am a leasing consultant in Tennessee I got into a domestic incident with my now exboyfriend who is a resident at the community I worked. I have been placed on leave without pay, they are wanting a statement from about what happened. The have not and cannot call my ex boyfriend to ask about what happened because it happened at his residence. They are only going by what's on the affavidit.Can they do this to me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there -

-

Unless you are a union member which offers protections to employees against the employer's legal right to terminate any employee at will for any reason or for no reason at all. Without a union then you are considered an "employee at will" and the company can terminate you for any reason or for no reason at all and unless you can prove that the company has unlawfully discriminated against you under Title VII / civil rights act due to your gender, race, religion, age (over 40), disability or sexual preferences then about the only claim you might have is to apply for unemployment benefits in your state (you see, although the company can terminate you without a reason, the company must justify the termination to the unemployment department OR the company will be ordered to pay you unemployment compensation while you seek new employment). SO, I do suggest that you claim unemployment benefits and then you can go from there while you wait to see if the employee unemployment benefits will just be available for you in this instance.

-

I genuinely wish I could tell you something differently here, but I cannot.I hope that helps. Please let me know if I can answer any further follow up questions for you on these matters. If not, can I please ask you to press a positive rating above in the rating section so I will be paid for my time assisting you tonight? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it is simply a trigger to the website to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. MARY