Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

During my 5 years employment, I was subjected to a hostile

Customer Question

During my 5 years employment, I was subjected to a hostile work environment and harassment. Resulting in a wrongful termination. Respondent was aware of my disability. I asked for a reasonable accommodation, no response. My work was closely watched and scrutinized. I have been discriminated against based on my race African American and Hispanic, my disability, sex gender, age and retaliation for engaging in protected activity in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended and Titles I and V of the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended. Call(###) ###-#### ***** L. Lopes.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
far I have done the following ground work as much as I could, due to I'm not able to afford a Lawyer. I paid the Notice of Complaint and was filed on June 01, 2015. I am 63 years old and disabled with Heart failure and Liver failure. I receive Social Security Disability Beneffits of $1,166.00 monthly. I was not given a court appointed legal counsel. I was at an impasse with no legal knowledge. As you know time lines are critical and my disability subjected me to "failure to effectuate service of process" with serving seven summons, but eventually I learned about the hiring of the county sheriff and was successful with six out of seven served summons. I contacted many lawyers but as you know it seemed like a lot of work to accept a “Civil Case“. I processed a Notice of Appeal and to the best of my knowledge I was approved and I must have not understood the electronic process, etc. I immediately called Michael E. Gans Clerk of Court United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, St. Louis, Missouri. A representative took my call and she informed me that I was to do nothing with the information I just received and that I will be receiving another letter from Michael E. Gans, that my case has been suspended until further notice. Very confused, I have paid the first $300 dollars for filing my notice of complaint. And recently for an appellate fee of $505.00. I received a letter today February 13, 2016. The letter is dated January 29, 2016 RE: 15-3943 Lynn Lopes v. Jason Uttermark, et al as follows:Dear Ms. Lopes: January 29, 2016Enclosed is a copy of the dispositive order in the referenced appeal. Please note that FRAP 40 of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure requires any petition for rehearing to be filed within 14 days after entry of judgment. Counsel-filed petitions must be filed electronically in CM/ECF. Paper copies are not required. This court strictly enforces the 14 day period. No grace period for mailing is granted for pro-se-filed petitions. A petition for rehearing or a motion for an extension of time must be filed with Clerk’s office within the 14 day period.Michael E. Gans, Clerk of Gourt . Cc: Mr. Joseph A. Hass, District Court/agency Case Number: 1:15-cv-01025-CBK.(Reason and extension of time was filed to Clerk’s office within the 14 day period. Please see all letters sent to Clerk’s of Court Mr. Joseph A. Haas.)
Expert:  Legalease replied 11 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Can you tell me what the DATE of TERMINATION was with your company ?

-

Can you also tell me how long it was after your termination date that you filed these lawsuits against the company ? (You state that you filed the lawsuits in June 2015 -- when was the last time / date you were employed by the company before that June 2015 lawsuit filing date )?

-

THANKS !!

-

MARY

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that the way our system works is the customer needs to use REPLY to communicate with the expert. The previous expert asked some questions to obtain additional information, which many times the experts need to provide answers to customers. The system is meant to be a back and forth communication with the expert.
So in order for us to provide you information you are seeking, you have to communicate with us and answer our questions as well.
If you wish to continue, please answer the questions posed by the previous expert.
These discrimination cases have every tight time lines which are strictly adhered to by the courts, regardless of pro se status.
Also, did you file this complaint with the EEOC before filing your civil suit in federal court, as there is a federal court requirement that you must file with the EEOC to exhaust administrative remedies before filing a federal suit for employment discrimination?
Missing times set by the law though could be fatal to your case, which is why the previous expert was asking you questions that need to be answered as well.