Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

A co worker told 11 co workers that I was a "Black" 27 year

Customer Question

A co worker told 11 co workers that I was a "Black ni**er Dike Bitch" I am African American 27 year old women I'm the first female to take this position. I reported to my employer. There solution was to move me. Instead of solving the situation. I'm being bully at work and treated unfairly also the other 7 guys as well. We reported to are boss and nothing is being done.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this is happening.

Your employer has an obligation to protect you from a hostile work environment, both based on your gender and your race. If they have not taken any steps to resolve the situation after you reported it, and you continue to experience this type of abuse every day, you can file a lawsuit. You may be entitled to punitive damages of $50,000 - $300,000, depending on the size of your employer. The first step is to seek a Right to Sue letter from the EEOC by filing a charge.

The law says that you may be entitled to an order that your employer pay your attorney's fees, on top of other damages. For that reason, you may want to consider having a local attorney either reach out to them and try to negotiate a resolution without going to court, or file a lawsuit for you. It would be a violation of federal law for them to fire you because you're suing them for racial and sexual harassment, so if they did that, you'd be able to sue for reinstatement, back pay, and more punitive damages (plus more attorney's fees). A good place to find a lawyer in your area with experience in this type of case is www.martindale.com.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.