Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I filed an unemployment claim in Indiana back in may when I

Customer Question

I filed an unemployment claim in Indiana back in may when I was fired from my first job and got denied but that's not the issue I expected that....I found a new job in a matter of a couple weeks and worked until December when I was laid off for lack of work so I filed an unemployment claim in ohio not knowing that my claim in Indiana was open for a full year even tho I was denied so I waited 4 or 5 weeks before ohio denied me because I had an open claim in Indiana so I called Indiana and sent them my pay stubs and they had me call ohio and make the weeks that I had claimed in ohio available to them but after I filied those weeks in Indiana they say im not eligible for them because they did not requalify me till the end of janauary
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My issue im having is I don't see how its right that they wont pay me for the weeks I mistakenly filed in ohio
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My basic question is....is there anything I can do about it? I did everything they asked of me only for them to tell me that the dates I had filed in ohio didn't matter cause my claim had not been requalified at that time but isn't that why I had to call ohio and make those weeks available to them??
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. Unfortunately, you are dealing with bureaucracy and would not appeal for review by the Administrative Law Judge. You have to be paid for the weeks that you mistakenly filed in Ohio. Here is how to appeal:

http://www.in.gov/dwd/2356.htm