Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

Can my employer decrease the number of sick time and

Customer Question

Can my employer decrease the number of sick time and vacation time we currently have and also eliminate the Personal day we have?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Because employment is at will, one of things an employer can do is change the terms of employment going forward at any time. There is unfortunately no law that prevents employers from deciding to reduce the number of sick or vacation days it gives employees, as long as the reduction is not based on illegal discrimination, and as long as the employees get notice in advance. Once the change becomes effective, any employee who continues working for the company will be considered to have agreed to the new terms, and the change will be legal. The employer is not required to continue benefits for existing employees unless anyone has a contract that says they're entitled to those benefits.

People who have earned, unused vacation, personal, and sick days still need to be able to take those days, because you earned them, and you worked with the expectation of being allowed to use them.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.