How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 115495
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a physician. I did my training overseas and then moved

Customer Question

I am a physician. I did my training overseas and then moved to the state and did two years of clinical fellowships. I applied for Kansas board to get a medical license. They rejected my application because my US training is not ACGME accredited and I do not have a license in another state to qualify for endorsement. I understand the rules but the board has granted license for physicians with exact same situation as mine before. I need your legal advice. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir I do have ECFMG certificate. I know a physician who works in Kansas now and was granted a full license from the board without meeting the board requirement. He did his training overseas and then did one year of non ACGME accredited training in the Us and never had an unrestricted license in the states and was given a full license in Kansas. I have the same situation, I have two years of US clinical experience and never had a full license in any state and they rejected my application for not meeting the qualifications.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
According to the KS board rules, if you have certification from the ECFMG they can grant you license as long as you have completed your requirements here in the US. If they are denying you and you have three (3) years of postgraduate training with at least two (2) of those years completed in the USA. Postgraduate training must occur after graduation.
If you meet those qualifications, then you need to file an appeal with the Board to approve your license. The appeal is filed in writing to the board with proof of meeting all requirements attached and they will have to vote on your approval. If they deny you and you meet those qualifications, then your next step is filing suit in court against them for denying you when you meet those qualifications specified by the board.