Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My son lived in state back in 2009 when he was off. He went

Customer Question

My son lived in Washington state back in 2009 when he was laid off. He went to his bank yesterday (he's back in New York) and was told he owes unemployment that they he received illegally. He was receiving unemployment after being laid off. He does not have any paperwork and they have already taken out money from his bank account. He claims he doesn't know what they are talking about. He is a full time student and has a small part-time job. He doesn't know what amount of money they want and is afraid that they will garnish his salary. I don't know how to handle. According to my son the phone # *****(###) ###-####Case #***** What should e next steps?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

He needs to contact the unemployment office to get additional information on this alleged overpayment and if possible to file for waiver of the overpayment. He needs to ask for the form. For more information, click on the link below:

https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/overpayments-repaying