Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have a Manager that has recently had a baby. She has

Customer Question

I have a Manager that has recently had a baby. She has brought the baby in to work with her for an entire day and recently had another employee , a subordinate ,take a day off to babysit for her which left us short . Is this illegal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Well, that really depends on what you mean by "legal." It's not illegal to bring a child into work. If the employer has an issue with it, the employer can certainly discipline the manager because there isn't a legal right for her to bring the child in to work, but it's also not expressly illegal. If the employer doesn't take issue with it, there is nothing anyone else can do about it.

Likewise with the issue of having someone watch her child. If the employer takes issue with it, then they employer can take appropriate disciplinary steps against that manager. However, if the employer doesn't care and the employee that took the time off to babysit also doesn't care, it is illegal in and of itself.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.