Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can employer force me to go to HelpNet EAP Job Jeopardy or

Customer Question

Can employer force me to go to HelpNet EAP Job Jeopardy or say I am fired if I don't, because they claim I was disrespectful?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, the general rule is that employment in the state of MI is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated or modified for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination/modification is fair, reasonable or even true.

So, unless your employer's motivation for doing what they are doing is a legally protected trait or activity as defined above, their conduct does not violate any law. It certainly appears to be unfair, but as noted above it is not illegal for an employee to be unfair. Therefore, you really need to try to work with your employer here. This is not a circumstance in which you likely have much legal leverage.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.