Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

How do you define worker harassment? My new boss, holding me

Customer Question

How do you define worker harassment?
My new boss, holding me to higher standards than anyone else. Intimidates me to satisfy his ego, threatens to fire me, yells at me and reminds me of my past personal struggles with alcoholism (I don't drink anymore) using that as a crutch to justify antagonistic behavior towards me,. Despite fact we just had a role reversal, I was temporary sales manager until my boss at Globalstar could find a suitable replacement. My former boss, Jake Rembert at Globalstar hired his childhood best friend to the position, Chris Gardiner. Chris has 0 experience in the industry, I have 20 years.
All in tea will confirm I am the most productive, but as a scociopath, chris finds it easy to intimidate me more than anyone else.
Chris prohibited me from going to FEMA regional HQ 10 days ago to give a pres elation to a group of 40 very high profile customers. I set this event up 6 months ago when I was boss. He said it was not worthwhile, later sent another employ
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The US Supreme Court has been very clear about the laws on workplace harassment and has stated that the laws were designed to protect employees from any conduct towards them that is based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee and they are not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace. See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services, 523 U.S. 75 (1998).
So any different treatment or humiliation you are receiving, in order for it to be legally actionable, must be based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin.
If he is picking on you based only on the fact of your disability, alcoholism, then that would be grounds to claim hostile work environment/harassment based upon disability which is against the Americans with Disabilities Act. If that is the case you would need to file your complaint with the EEOC and they have to investigate and grant you a right to sue letter for you to proceed to court.