Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I hope you can help me as i am distraught. I got suspended

Customer Question

I hope you can help me as i am distraught. I got suspended from work as an alligation was made that i took tablets. There was just myself and the nurse in the treatment room. I went there to borrow bonjela which was for myself her back was turned and the next minute she was acusing me of having tablets in my pocket. As the second nurse appeared she could see i had nothing in my pocket. I feel that i am not going to be believed and feel this may lead to losing my job. Although i am 100%innocent. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks miss gillian hakdane
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like any advice, "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What i am looking for is i have been accused of taking tablets which i havent but the nurse said i did so i feel i dont have a leg to stand on. And what advice would you give to this situation as this is a series matter and need advice on how to go about proving i am inocent.. is that s something you could asvise me on. I feel i am being looked upon as guilty and it should be innocent untill proven guilty..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need to build up a case but dont know where to start. All i have done is a written statement of my events.

No one can really advise you on how to "prove you are innocent" because it depends on exactly what they say and do. You have to react not to their general allegation but exactly what they say and how they phrase it.

What I'd recommend is hiring a local employment lawyer to represent you in this matter. That way they can be aggressive and threaten a lawsuit based on slander, plus any other causes of action that develop.

Every state except Montana goes by the employment at will doctrine which means an employer can fire or punish an employee for any reason, even a false one, so long as that action isn't based on race, age, gender, etc. That makes it extremely easy on the employer and extremely hard on the employee. By hiring a lawyer they look for other causes of action an employee might have and use that as leverage to head off any negative repercussions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your advise.. is it very exspensive to hire a local employment lawyer?

It shouldn't be just for this. It varies greatly on areas of the country and what all is involved but at the beginning it would just be a matter of writing a letter or two. You should make an appointment and sit down and visit with one to see what they say about the fees.

Most lawyers will agree to charge you by the task, so you pay a little for the letter, then if they have to do something else they charge a little more, etc.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for all your advice.. much appreciated..

You're very welcome.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.