TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

CAN AN EMPLOYER COUNT YOUR HOME AS YOUR WAGE?

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

However, I need a little clarification. Does your employer provide you with housing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THEY DID, WE WERE MANAGERS OF A RV RESORT IN STATE OF FLORIDA. MY HUSBAND RECEIVED A PAY CHECK AND I WAS TOLD I GOT FREE HOUSING.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

In general, housing provided by an employer is considered income for tax purposes. However, if all of the following are true, then you can exclude it from your taxable income:

• The housing is furnished on the business premises of your employer,

• The housing is furnished for the convenience of your employer, and

• The housing is a condition of your employment. (You must accept it in order to be able to properly perform your duties.)

If all of the above is true, then it is not taxable income. If any of the above is not true, then it is taxable income.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PLEASE STOP TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY CHECKING ACCOUNT, I HAVE NOT SPOKEN WITH YOU SINCE THE FIRST NIGHT AND YOU KEEP TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY ACCT. TODAY I SEE YOU TOOK MORE MONEY AND ITS OVERDRAWN NOW.......THANKS BUT NO THANKS.....I WILL NOT RECOMEND YOUR SERVICES WITH THIS ACTION TO ANYONE.