Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can employer in Indiana have your vehicle towed just because

Customer Question

can employer in Indiana have your vehicle towed just because you were not parked within the lines of parking spaces
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This presents one of those issues which demonstrates how much the law favors employers. The simple answer is that yes, an employer can tow a vehicle on that basis. The reason? There isn't a law saying they can't. Certainly, there is not a law specifically giving them that right, but in the absence of a law restricting the employer's rights in regards ***** ***** on its property, the employer is free to act as they see fit.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
employees cars are towed because their cars are over the lines
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
is that legal

I understood that from your initial post. Again, the employer can do this without some law saying they can't (and there isn't one).

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.