Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

The company I have worked 7 years as a Project Merchandiser

Customer Question

The company I have worked for for 7 years as a Project Merchandiser had decided to force us part time merchandisers to purchase tablets for use in our assigned stores or else we will be terminated. I was on medical leave from September to January and when I was told that I had to purchase a tablet otherwise I would lose my job I find this a little over the top The CEO of the company recently changed the name of the company from Advantage Sales and Marketing which it has been known for over 30 years now it is called Advantage Solutions It seems to me the money used to do this name change could have gone to purchasing and issuing tablets to the employees. Our job has been cut so much that I cannot understand where the company thinks the employees will find the money to purchase tablets just to keep a part time job Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The answer to this question is handled in the same manner that the Department of Labor considers the requirement to purchase any equipment for an employer. Because you are free to leave the employment any time you wish, under the concept of "at will" employment, if you do not agree with the arrangement you can seek employment elsewhere.

I know that is a very cold legal response to this issue, but courts have repeatedly upheld this point. You can deduct any expense that you have against your tax burden, as a loss, to help financially offset the cost.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THAT MUST BE BECAUSE OF THE CLUSTERf**k IN THE WHITE HOUSE

Well, the President certainly has not changed the law on this issue, but he also wasn't the person that signed the law.

This has been the state of the law for decades and decades, each President (and more importantly, each Congress) not changing the manner in which employers are regulated.

I wish I could tell you differently here, but the law ties my hands. If you have further questions, please let me know.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.