John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I have an employee who was red 6/29/2015 and became eligible

Customer Question

I have an employee who was hired 6/29/2015 and became eligible 9/01/2015 and terminated 11/01/2015. The group has 40 employees. would this employee be eligible for COBRA benefits since her employment was only 4 months.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Yes she probably would be eligible. Cobra is available to all plan participants in plans with 20 plus employees. It is available to those employees with a COBRA qualifying event - termination is a qualifying event unless the termination is for extreme misconduct. Unless she was terminated for extreme misconduct she is allowed to elect COBRA.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.