John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I have an employee who was red 6/29/2015 and became eligible

Customer Question

I have an employee who was hired 6/29/2015 and became eligible 9/01/2015 and terminated 11/01/2015. The group has 40 employees. would this employee be eligible for COBRA benefits since her employment was only 4 months.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Yes she probably would be eligible. Cobra is available to all plan participants in plans with 20 plus employees. It is available to those employees with a COBRA qualifying event - termination is a qualifying event unless the termination is for extreme misconduct. Unless she was terminated for extreme misconduct she is allowed to elect COBRA.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.