Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I recently was terminated from an insurance company. I have

Customer Question

I recently was terminated from an insurance company. I have an 18 month non-compete clause. if clients are calling into my office and I explain that I am no longer working for this firm, however I do have other companies that I can choose from. if they ask me for a quote am I going against my non-compete? I make it very clear to them that I am not working for the old company and I make them ask me for a quote.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

If they ask you for a quote, and you provide one, then this would be breaching the non-compete (assuming the non-compete disallows this, and/or, the context of the quote means enticing them to with you, as this would be competing with the prior company).

However note that some states disallow non-competes and/or void unreasonably broad non-competes. If you tell me which state this is in, I can tell you more.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.