Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I was offered a customer service position at Citi, the

Customer Question

Hello, I was offered a customer service position at Citi, the company did a background check and two old cases came up - one a misdemeanor 1981 and other one Felony C 1985. I faxed the information to Citi but, I have not heard from the company. Can you please advise will both charges prohibited me from working at the bank?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

Unfortunately, the employer is free to discriminate based on criminal record. This means that they can decide whether or not to hire someone due to their criminal history. A person is not prohibited from being employed by the bank with a criminal record, but the bank may decide not to hire someone because of it, and would generally be in their rights to do so.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question, or may have just forgotten to rate. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!