Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was just fired from my job last week. I had recently

Customer Question

I was just fired from my job last week. I had recently complained about sexual harassment that was happening to me by another employee, and as far as I know, nothing was ever done about that complaint. I had also been injured on the job just 4 days before my termination. is there a chance that I was wrongfully terminated?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is illegal to terminate an employee because they complained about sexual harassment, or because they filed or planned to file a workers compensation claim. Given that both of these things appear to have happened shortly before you were fired, a very strong argument can be made that your termination was the result of illegal retaliation, and thus, that you have a claim for wrongful termination.

It would be prudent for an individual in your circumstance to immediately retain an attorney, as these claims are complicated to prove and cannot be litigated by one's self. Fortunately, lawyers handle meritorious cases of this kind on a pure contingency fee basis. If you don't know, a contingency fee arrangement is one in which the attorney receives a portion of the client's settlement or award as his payment, typically 1/3 of the total amount. If there is no recovery, the attorney does not get paid. The client never pays until the settlement or award is obtained (except perhaps to cover the filing costs for his claim).

To locate a lawyer in your area who can help, see here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.