Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

What do I have to do to leally change gender in Wisconsin?

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You must file a petition for gender change in the local court. In the petition you must state the reasons for the gender change and proof that the gender has been medically changed and ask the court to issue an order to Wisconsin Vital Records for an amended birth certificate "to change the name and sex of the registrant on the certificate due to a surgical sex-change procedure." The certificate will be marked as amended unless "...the court orders the state registrar to prepare a new certificate" See: WI. §§ 69.15 (4).

So, you need proof of gender being changed and you file a petition with the court asking for an order to change your birth certificate to change gender.