Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I operate a State business. I want to re a Mexican/American

Customer Question

I operate a Washington State business. I want to hire a Mexican/American who LIVES in Mexico to sew for my business. I want to hire her legally.
Do I have to pay her Washington State minimum wage, even though she lives in Mexico? What paperwork do I need to complete to legally hire her, pay taxes, etc . . . She is a Mexican citizen who also has a U.S. Social Security Card.
Do I need to pay Washington State Workers compensation, even though she will be working in Mexico? I would like guidance on how to get this set up.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

This type of outsourcing is fairly common. You would need to abide by Mexican labor laws not U.S. or Washington labor laws. Here is a good overview of things to consider: http://www.crossborderemployer.com/post/2011/03/17/What-Multi-National-Employers-Need-to-Know-About-Mexican-Labor-and-Employment-Law.aspx

I would suggest contacting a labor law attorney in Mexico to advise you of any specific rules and regulations you should be aware of.

Here is another good resource for certain forms that are recommended by USCIS http://hiring.monster.com/hr/hr-best-practices/monster-training/security-center/hiring-non-US-workers.aspx

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. Does this mean I have to create a foreign company in Mexico to hire? Or can I hire them through my U.S. company?

You can do it through your U.S. company but having a company there that manages the regulations and compliance and management of the employee might be a good idea and you just have a contract with that Mexican based company. That might limit some of your compliance exposure here in the United States.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.