Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was recently approved weeks of FMLA due to a recent

Customer Question

Hello I was recently approved for six weeks of FMLA due to a recent Gastric Sleeve surgery. My objective is to extend my leave to 8 weeks. I talked to Sedgwick(Who approves my employers FMLA Claims) they said they would order new medical to approve my extension. What does that mean? Is it possible for me to tell my doctors office to just put in writing I need a additional two weeks?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You simply need to complete a new WH-380 form stating the new date of your expected return. Your employer doesn't get to decide whether to "grant" your extension, provided you are within the 12 weeks allotted under the FMLA. If it was up to employers whether to grant FMLA, the law would become meaningless. Therefore, the best course of action is to politely provide the new, completed form and explain that you trust this resolves the issue of an extension. It should.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.