ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If I get a verbal warning, should I get an attorney?

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Arizona is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

As such, unless you have good reason to believe that you're being targeted based upon one of those factors above, or that your employer is violating a contract or written employment policy, an attorney would do absolutely nothing for you. Even if you were terminated, the at-will employment doctrine applies. You'd have to show that you were terminated in violation of some written policy, or that you were targeted based upon one of those illegal discrimination factors above.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!