Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I worked company a year ago that changed hands and the new

Customer Question

I worked for a company a year ago that changed hands and the new company chose not to hire many of employees from the old company. I was the manager at the time of the transition and one of the African American employees that was not hired filed a lawsuit for discrimination and several other items related to her employment. I was served yesterday and two of the companies were named and also several of the department heads and myself. It states that I have to respond in 30 days and pay a fee but I know she is after the deep pockets of the two companies. All of the department heads no longer work for the company and I was let go two weeks after the transition for not being a good fit. Do I need to respond to this or will the two companies respond. Does each person named have to individually have to respond?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this. You do need to respond individually and it would be a good idea to get yourself an attorney. I will say you need to contact the company and ask if they will be indemnifying or covering your legal defense as this employee's claims are based on your work with that company. They should be covering you but do not just assume it.