Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

Applied thier computation show i would get o dollars due to

Customer Question

Customer: applied for ssi thier computation show i would get o dollars due to no wage earnings , what can i do? i was laid off last two jobs ,chose to be a stay at home father due to economy . i recently had 5 way bypass surgery , cant work have 3 young children
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: last worked 09 due to obama closing all federal parks across us .it was cheaper for me to stay at home meanwhile had a heart attack and the doctor rulled me incapable of returning to the work i was doing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here.Let me verify you were turned down for SSDI not SSI is that correct??

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

You should qualify for SSI regardless of prior work.People who never worked a day but are disabled qualify for SSI here.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm

You can try here for SSI even if you didn't have enough to draw SSDi..

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

SSI makes monthly payments to people who have low

income and few resources, and who are:

Age 65 or older;

Blind; or

Disabled

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a disability program designed for those with a demonstrated financial need and a disability that prevents them from substantial gainful activity

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

To qualify financially for SSI, you cannot own more than $2,000 worth of total countable assets (if you are married, you may jointly own up to $3,000 in assets). Countable assets are basically anything of value which you own except for the home which you live in and one vehicle. Your assets include such things as money in savings and checking accounts, IRAs and other retirement accounts, cash value in life insurance policies, vehicles (other than one vehicle for transportation), and virtually anything else of significant value.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

The main difference between the programs is that SSDI is an insurance program designed for those who had been working prior to their disability. SSI is also for disabled persons, but is specifically for those who have demonstrated a financial need. If you are disabled, you may qualify for SSI whether you have worked in recent years or not.

Please let me know if I missed something.You should qualify here for SSI if you meet the resource and disability criteria.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

I want to help you here, let me know if I missed understood your situation.SSDI and SSI are very different programs and you should qualify for SSI, thanks..