ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My child was punished her cell phone at school by ISS, 2

Customer Question

my child was punished for having her cell phone at school by ISS, 2 days out of school suspension and made to clean the lunchroom tables. Is this egal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, it would be legal so long as it was administered in a "fair" way. That is, the school cannot discriminate against her based upon her race, religion, gender, or disability. If it did not administer a same or similar punishment to someone who was in the same situation, and the reason for the disparity would be based upon race, religion, gender or disability, then the school could be liable for illegal discrimination. But the school is able to set rules and mete out punishments for violations of policy or in the interests of "decorum".

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?