Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I feel my life was indirectly threatened at work. I was in a

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** feel my life was indirectly threatened at work. I was in a verbal argument with employee A, later that day two employees (my boss and employee B) were discussing loudly in the office reasons for terminating someone- and said "what if he is a felon, and may come in and shoot someone". Employee A is a convicted felon.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am concerned that either my boss is intimidating me or my life is in danger.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am not willing to pay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, that is not a legal basis to force an employer to separate someone. In fact, terminating someone simply based on their having a criminal record can be considered a form of discrimination. Feeling indirectly threatened is also not a basis for forcing an employer to separate someone.

The law relies on employers protecting their self-interests in these situations. If there were other evidence of violent intent by this person in the workplace, such as comments or attitudes displayed, then the employer could certainly choose to terminate on that basis but they still couldn't be forced to.

Your only option then would be to try and establish that the situation was sufficiently dangerous that any person would have left the work place, and then use that as a means of quitting and getting unemployment.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.