Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

My name is salman hasan
, I filed in Massachussets and

Customer Question

Customer: hello my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I filed for unemployment in Massachussets and while I was waiting for there response, I had to travel to Kuwait to see my sick mother there for three weeks, I started getting unemployment after I came back, noe they are telling me that I committed a fraud.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Employment Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.

To qualify for MA UI benefits you have to be able and ready for work and looking for work.If you were out of the country they can reclaim the benefits if they were paid for that time period.This is really an overpayment not fraud.From what you present there was no intent to hide or fraud here at all.

You should consider discussing repayment here, you are now due benefits and have returned.Again you did not hide this information and should be eligible.There may be a penalty period to recoup payments but eventually you should again receive them.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

You can ask for a hardship overpayment waiver, here is how to do so..

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/unemployment-insur/basic-ui-information/issues-with-claim/overpayment/

I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this.Please do not despair.You may be able to seek a waiver of repayment.I do not see fraud here, no intent to do so.You should report it when you go out of country to avoid future problems.