P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

IN confidence I told my employer that my physician said my

Customer Question

IN confidence I told my employer that my physician said my colitis was being caused by
anxiety possibly caused at work. My employer told the entire staff what I had told him, making a joke of it
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you can sue over this? If not, what is your question please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not looking to sue him, but isn't that defermation of character? I told him that in confidence, and then he tells the whole staff making a big joke of it.

Thank you

That is not "defamation"

Defamation is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim. If the information provided was true? It would not be defamation.

That said, it may be considered a breach of privacy....so your goal was to sue, you could sue for this privacy breach

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.